Text: Jas 1:5- If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
Title: Why we fast 2
Recap last week’s sermon……..fast
God’s greatest pleasure is when his children trust him.
Joh 3:16 – “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Heb 10:39- But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.
Heb 11:6- But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
In Mark 9 we see the same man we saw in Matthew 17 confessing unbelief to Jesus
- The man initially believed that’s why he can to the disciples
- But something has happened
- The believe/faith was still there
- But now has also has unbelief
- Likely caused by the disciples inability to help him
Mr 5:36 – As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe
- Because of the bad news he has just heard
- Which could potentially breed unbelief – Jesus has to SPEAK FAITH
- ONLY believe why? You can doubt and believe
Where is unbelief
Components of the Spirit, Soul and Body:……
In our soul – minds
- Jas 1:6 – But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.
7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;
8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
- The minds – the battle field –
- Doubts arise in our minds concerning God’s word/ promises
- Through our five – 5 senses
Unbelief/doubt negates our faith
- People’s opinions – what if it doesn’t work
The reason why Rom 12:2 is crucial for the believer
Rom 12:2 – And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Mind you Gods word is food
Hunger/desire is necessary for consumption
1Pe 2:2 – As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word,that ye may grow thereby:
Job 23:12 – I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth More than my necessary food. fast
Joh 6:35 – And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. fast
Why we fast:
- To intensify Spiritual hunger
- We deny the flesh – stomach food – and this is translated to….
- To develop a hunger for God – His Word
- To live by God’s word – Matt 4:1-4
- To yield to God’s leading.
- God’s power will sustain us. fast
- In a state of fasting, we are exposed to divine sustenance.
Gal 5:17-18 – For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.
18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. fast
- During fasting, we don’t only abstain from food, but we also feed on God’s word. This is meant to nourish us.
- Jesus – Matthew 4:1-4.
OUR SPIRITS DON’T GROW
1Jo 4:17 – Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the Day of Judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
- In our spirit we are identical to Jesus – (Faith. Righteousness….
Our spirit don’t grow
It’s our SOULS (Rom 12:1) –the mind – that grow in its understanding through the word in maturing to appropriate/ receive/use what’s already on the inside of our spirit where Christ dwells
The baby Jesus
Lu 2:52 – And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man
- He was worshipped when he was born
- Only God received worship
- Baby body – Perfect spirit
Your faith begins to work when you understand/know what you already have – Phlm 6
Jesus’ fast – Choosing disciples
Mat 4:1 – 4 – Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry.
3 Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” 4 But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'”- Deut 8:3